New York, NY asked in Divorce, Immigration Law and Domestic Violence for New York

Q: My husband has a GC and I recently left him because of his mental health issues. Can he sue me for not supporting him?

He has anger issues that he refuses to address and I no longer feel safe. I left him in the apartment and my name is the only one on the lease. We have the lease on a month to month basis and I've offered to pay the rent for September and October so he can figure out if he's going to the army or back to France. We constantly fought about money because he never got a job. His family sent money from France to help but they stopped and he never worked. Can he sue me because they sent money? Should I send him money to "keep him above the poverty line?"

I'm not asking about him losing his green card. Can I get into trouble by no longer supporting him? That is my question.

1 Lawyer Answer
Roger Carl Algase
Roger Carl Algase
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • New York, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: This is the kind of question that requires consultation with an experienced divorce lawyer. It is not primarily an immigration question. As long as the original marriage was genuine and not entered into for immigration purposes, and as long as the green card holder has not been convicted of any serious crime, merely being involved in a marital dispute, no matter how intense, is not grounds for taking away a person's green card.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.