North Kingstown, RI asked in Animal / Dog Law for Rhode Island

Q: My neighbors who live on the same premises keep feeding my animals without my permission. How can I make them stop?

My neighbors live in an apartment attached to my house on a farm and they repeatedly have fed and have gone as far as going into my house to feed my pets without my permission. I have asked them to stop as my animals are on restricted diets and in good health. They are good people but have continued to do this despite my best efforts to make them stop. Is there any actions I can take legally? The husband is a retired cop and Im worried will be favored by the police. Thank you.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Neville Bedford
Neville Bedford
  • Licensed in Rhode Island

A: Lock your doors and don't leave the food accessible. Write them a letter informing them that they are not to come onto your property or feed your animals. If they persist, contact the local authorities for a no trespass order.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.