Houston, TX asked in Workers' Compensation, Employment Discrimination and Small Claims for Texas

Q: They told me that when the Doctor gave me the mmi rating of 5% × 3=15 × 266.00 = to 3990.00 back pay since they stopped

Paying me on November 25 2016 they told me to sigh to get paid then they closed my case what can I do to reopen my case and sue them I'm disabled I had 19 surgeries on my right ankle

1 Lawyer Answer
Roy Lee Warren
Roy Lee Warren
  • Workers' Compensation Lawyer
  • San Marcos, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Assuming you signed a DWC 24, (an "agreement", but absolutely not a settlement because "settlements" are not allowed in WC) it probably included an agreement that you "agreed" to the MMI and IR given. If so you have a very hard situation because you will have to overcome the agreement AND the MMI/IR. Not many lawyers will want to take the case on a contingency (the only method allowed) but you can seek help from the DWC's ombudsman program. They will help yo through the DWC appeals process but not judicial review (Court). Good luck to you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.