Lake Stevens, WA asked in Family Law and Domestic Violence for Washington

Q: Would a lawyer be able to drop my case?

Few years back my girlfriend and I were drinking at a bar, and we started arguing, there was many cops there (they have video evidence) and i got arrested for 4th degree domestic assault. We got issued a no contact order, which the judge dropped on my court date. I was told I need to go to a domestic violence glass as well as drug assessment. It's been a long time and I still haven't finished the classes. They are inconvenient for my family's schedule. I keep falling in and out of compliance. I'm wondering if I get a lawyer can they potentially drop it so I don't have to take the classes. My girlfriend and I are together and in a happy relationship with 2 kids. The judge saw that, that's why he dropped the no contact order right away. Anyways please help!

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jason Powers
Jason Powers PRO label
  • Domestic Violence Lawyer
  • Mt Vernon, WA
  • Licensed in Washington

A: If the court already ordered that the classes need to be completed than I doubt a lawyer will be able to convince the court to drop it. The court may become frustrated that the order was not followed and order the case closed provided you get penalized. It would be a good idea to speak to an attorney so that it is clear as to what is in the order and what stage of the proceedings you are at.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.