Denver, CO asked in Child Custody and Child Support for Colorado

Q: Can the father of my child file for child support so he can get partial custody?

I have had full custody of my daughterr for 6 months and there is no court order because he has had warrants and and a felon on his background so he does not want to take me to court

Related Topics:
Lawyers: To answer this question, please Log In to your account.
2 Lawyer Answers
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Fort Collins, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: Yes, a petition for custody by either parent will result in some parenting plan (i.e. visitation) and support obligations being created for the child. Colorado generally favors joint (50-50%) custody and generally does not consider prior criminal history of either parent unless there are health and safety concerns directly related to the child (e.g. drug abuse/sale and/or sexual assault of children).

  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Greenwood Village, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: The father can file a case for custody (parental responsibilities). Child support could certainly be part of that case. Given that the child lives with you, he would be foolish to file a case for child support and he would not get child support. Him filing a child support case has nothing to do with him being able to get custody. You really should get custody orders in place to protect yourself, as without them either party technically has equal right to a child.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.