Wrentham, MA asked in Car Accidents for Massachusetts

Q: What should I do if the operator that hit me is not insured and it is 100% their fault?

I was rear ended a few days ago. The operator of the vehicle who rear ended me is not the owner of the vehicle. Police came and are filing a report. She is found at fault due to me being stopped completely when she rear ended me. When Police run her license and Plate number, her insurance is still active. When I filed and claim with her insurance company, her insurance company informed me that her premium has lapsed on 08/23 of this year and is no longer active so they can't file claim. I would have to file with my own insurance and pay the deductible because they will not waive the deductible fee due to me not having the "waiver" option on it when I first purchased the insurance 8 years ago. She shouldn't have been driving the vehicle to begin with and now I don't know how to go about it to get her or the owner of the other vehicle to pay since I was 100% not at fault.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing
  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Wyomissing, PA
  • Licensed in Massachusetts

A: First, maybe the owner has insurance. If you were hurt, why not contact a member of the Mass Academy of Trial Lawyers--they give free consults, and will help you through this.

If you have collision, yes you pay the deductible but they will go after the other person and their driver and get it out of them.

However you have rights as far as medical payments so I really suggest you contact an MATL member in the county where the wreck happened.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.