Denver, CO asked in Divorce for Colorado

Q: How do I get money from getting ,1/2 the house

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
  • Fort Collins, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: Where are you in the divorce process (negotiations, post decree, etc.)?

If you have a decree you can seek court enforcement of the decree.

Try resubmitting with a little more information.

  • Greenwood Village, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: More information is needed to answer your question. In any divorce, there are three options tied into a home.

1) The parties agree or the court orders that the house is sold, with the net proceeds being split, which will generally be equally.

2) Husband keeps house and pays wife her equity, either through refinance and pulling out proceeds or offsetting with other assets.

3) Wife keeps house and pays husband his equity, either through refinance and pulling out proceeds or offsetting with other assets.

If house is jointly titled, the party keeping the house should be required to refinance or otherwise remove the other party from the financing within a reasonable time after decree enters. You should consult with a family law attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.