Fairhope, AL asked in Civil Rights and Juvenile Law for Alabama

Q: A 16 year old girl that has a baby wants to move out of her moms house can age do that?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

A: A 16 year old is still a minor, just because she has a baby does not mean that she is emancipated. If she is a child who is in need of supervision -- that is if her parents can't seem to handle her -- the law allows the parents to call on the State of Alabama (DHR) to assist in what's called a Child In Need Of Supervision or "CHINS" petition. Be careful in getting the state up in your business. The other real risk is to the child of the 16 year old mother. The other risk is that DHR will get involved in seeing that a 16 year old mom, who wants to strike out on her own (no doubt with her boyfriend) can take care of a baby.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.