Mccalla, AL asked in Child Custody, Civil Rights and Juvenile Law for Alabama

Q: I'm 17. My girlfriend is 15, is there any way we can get married without parental consent? Her parents are abusive

I will be 18 in November she will be 16 in April her parents are 50 and 60 she is very mature for her age, we both agree that she doesn't need to be in here home. I don't want to get her pregnant because of religious reasons. Is there any way possible we can get married without consent. I live in Alabama

1 Lawyer Answer
Mr. James Parrish Coleman
Mr. James Parrish Coleman
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Robertsdale, AL

A: No. She is a minor and so are you. You can't get married without your parents consent and she can't get married at all. If you are having sex with her and she is under 16 and if you are more than 24 months older than she is you can be exposed to criminal prosecution for having sex with her. You need to get some good advice from you parents or someone who can help you sort this out.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.