Riverside, CA asked in Criminal Law and Military Law for California

Q: I am being accused of sexual assault in the Navy. I am currently being investigated and may face a court martial.

Should I retain a civilian military attorney to assist me at this point in time? I do not know if I will be charged with a court martial, but these charges were filed over a year ago and they claim they have been investigating ever since. Recently they told me that I was being officially investigated by a PI for the Navy who would then advise my commander of his findings. My commander will then decide whether or not to court martial me. They have already placed me on a hold and delayed my release. I will not be getting out next month when my contract ends, and will be kept on a hold until this case is resolved. I do not know much, but how typical is this situation when dealing with a sexual assault case in the Navy? Any advice as to what to do right now? Any insight into what the investigation and the delay/hold means for the outcome of my case?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

William Mihrtad Paparian

  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Pasadena, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Yes, your definitely should retain civilian counsel because you could be facing criminal charges "in town" if this alleged

assault occurred in the CONUS. You should not be answering any questions about the allegation before you have consulted with an attorney. And talk about the allegations with anyone.

Patrick Korody

  • Criminal Law Lawyer

A: Yes - there are things a civilian military counsel can do for your that the JAG office cannot. First, you can have an actual attorney (the JAGs will not represent you until charged). Second, that attorney can preserve favorable evidence and conduct a parallel investigation by interviewing supposed witnesses - perhaps even the complaining witness. Lastly, the attorney can put up a barrier between you and NCIS/command authorities so that you don't make matters worse. And don't forget it's someone you can talk to under privilege.

Angelina Bradley agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.