Orlando, FL asked in Criminal Law and Traffic Tickets for Kansas

Q: can a court appearance for Misdemeanor B (susp lic.-CA State) in Kansas driving be done by phone or paid for?

Person driving to move to Kentucky from California was stopped while speeding 8 mph over limit on highway 70 and given ticket, which was paid, then another ticket to appear in court for suspended Calif license. At time, she didn't know license was suspended, until stopped by KHP. She now lives in Kentucky w/husband and cannot drive, due to no license in effect, and cannot fly (due to no income), so can she appear by phone for court? Is there a way to avoid possible jail time on a first time offense? Note: driver did not know that when renewing her work permit, she also had to renew license and thought it was valid

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brian Leininger
Brian Leininger
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Overland Park, KS
  • Licensed in Kansas

A: The driver, or an attorney on her behalf, will need to appear in court. Find a lawyer in the county where this occurred or nearby.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.