Killeen, TX asked in Child Custody, Child Support, Family Law and Military Law for Michigan

Q: Custody issues in Michigan while father is in military

I have an issue with my 5 year old son mother I am currently in the u s army stationed at fort Hood in Texas I talk to my son every chance I get and his mother all though at times tries to block my access she is usually open to us talking when she's in a good mood

Anyway I seen a picture of my son recently and noticed he has gained quite a bit of weight I called his mom to ask him his weight and height she at first tried to hide it from me so I told her I would just call his doctor and ask so she finally told me he weighed 210 pounds which is crazy as I am a 30 year old who weighs 215 lbs at 6 foot he is only 5 and instead of talking to me she tells me I'm just being mean and calling him fat I feel like I should go for custody to bring him here with me as I have my own place and a stead income while she does not I am very concerned for his weight bringing health issues any feedback would help

1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: Do you have a current custody order? Depending on what is really going on (I'm quite frankly astonished that a 5 year old could weigh 210 pounds), this could present substantial cause to warrant a custody change. If you don't have a custody order, you need to make that happen. Being in the military, you'll need a custody order to secure benefits and pay for your child.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.