Asked in Probate for Mississippi

Q: My husband died he had no will and he has five kids before we were married my name is on the homestead paper and

Not on the deed they are trying to remove me from the home can they do that?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ben F Meek III
Ben F Meek III
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Oklahoma City, OK

A: Probably not. If you lived with your husband in the home (that they're trying to remove you from) and he owned it in his own name, you may still have a legally protected homestead interest in the property even if your name is not in the title record. If you still live in the property and haven't abandoned it, you probably have a right to live in it until you die. You should consult an attorney in your state immediately to prevent your husband's family from doing something that might violate your rights but would be expensive to undo. Do not wait to speak with a lawyer. Many offer free initial consultations. Good luck.

PS: My comments here are for general information only and are not advice about your particular situation. They also do not establish an attorney-client relationship between us. Consult an attorney in your state for legal advice.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.