Asked in Family Law and Juvenile Law for Louisiana

Q: My son will be 17 in two montths and wants ti move out. Can I get in trouble if I let him?

He is still in school and would be moving with his biological fathers family. Which they or the father have never financially supported him before. We cant seem to get along. He wants to be treated like an adult but doeant take resposibilty for anything.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Douglas Lee Bryan
Douglas Lee Bryan
  • Marksville, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: I don't see how you can get in trouble; however, I would suggest that you do a Voluntary Transfer of Custody. This will be required if the school board where he'll be attending is operating under a Federal desgregation order, and most school boards in LA still are. This may also afford you some protection if he causes some trouble down the road. Feel free to give me a call should you like to discuss further.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.