Chesapeake, VA asked in Juvenile Law for Virginia

Q: My daughter and I are wanting to move out of state next summer. She is 16 yrs old. what do i have to do?

Her father and her dont really have a relationship, on her choice. For me, i have family down there and better job opportunities. There was a custody agreement filed 15 yrs ago, and hasnt been revisited since. He pays nothing and doesnt contribute for many years now. What steps do i need to take to make this happen? We are looking to relocate in july of 2018

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Gary D. Godman
Gary D. Godman
  • Stafford, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: Unless the court order says otherwise, every party in a custody case has to give at least 30 days' written notice to the court and the other parties of any intent to move. The other parent can then bring suit in court to challenge the move if they wish. Talk to a local family law attorney to review your current order and the history of the case to see if this is a good idea.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.