Geneva, IL asked in Landlord - Tenant for Illinois

Q: I rented a house with black mold I became ill, is there anything I can do. I moved out early and terminated my lease

City of Carbondale inspected and knew about the issues but did not follow up on compliance dates, I had property damage due to the mold and numerous health issues. I have photographs of the black mold. The owner has refunded me part of my security deposit and feels as if that is enough. I feel I should be reimbursed for damages and medical expenses and pain and suffering. I feel I was not liable for the rent from the time the property was noted as not habitable

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

A: The landlord has to comply with the warranty of habitability most rental leases include, which obligates them to permanently ensure that tenants occupy a safe, hazard-free property. Black mold is notorious for causing a wide range of serious health issues, from severe allergic reactions to autoimmune diseases such as myasthenia gravis or rheumatoid arthritis. If you have a diagnosis whose correlation to black mold exposure can be proven by a medical expert, you may be able to recover financial compensation after filing a personal injury lawsuit against your landlord. You should contact a landlord-tenant attorney to help you in this regard, as they specialize in attending to legal matters which involve rental property.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.