West Monroe, LA asked in Landlord - Tenant for Louisiana

Q: Ive told my landlord that my roommate is breaking the rules on the lease and she's done nothing, what can I do?

He's basically moved his girlfriend in and my landlord hasn't done thing about it. She has no job, eats all the food I buy, and destroys the house. I've talked to the landlord and I've gotten no response. What can I do to get her out?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Christie Tournet
Christie Tournet
  • Mandeville, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: If your landlord is not interested in enforcing the lease provisions, assuming that it calls for you and the room-mate as the only occupants, then, this is going to be something that you need to take up with your roommate. Actually, if the lease outlines limited occupants, then by permitting others to live there, you and the roommate may be breaching the lease. Because it is a potential breach, maybe your roommate will consider the issue more seriously. Or, perhaps, she could take over your half, if you no longer want part of the situation -- that is, assuming sub-leasing is also permitted.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.