Orlando, FL asked in Employment Law for Florida

Q: Help with background check information?

I was supposed to start my new job almost three weeks ago. I signed all the new hire paperwork and was given a start date. The only thing I was waiting for was my background check. The background check used by this company is a third party, they don't do them in house. So, when I finally got my background check it came back wrong. My name has a JR in it, and they searched for me without junior in a lot of the areas. A sex crime came back where the man is supposed to be in jail right now. I filed for a dispute, and my boss told me over the phone that they have to wait for the dispute to happen, to give the job away or for me to start. My boss told me today that HR has decided not to move forward with me. I cut back on my job now because I was supposed to start week after week, they were telling me different dates. Now, I am late on my bills and don't even know if I can even pay my rent this month. Is there any legal action I can take toward the actual company or the background check co

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

A: This is a very common problem that has plagued job applicants nationwide for years. In fact, I have represented individuals like you across the country (it happens everywhere.) You do have rights! In fact, you have rights which may have been violated by the employer and the background reporting company which may result in you receiving financial compensation under the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA.) The FCRA requires that background reporting companies keep reasonable procedures in place to ensure maximum possible accuracy of the report. The reporting company failed this when they reported what is called "Mixed" information (information about someone else.) Because of this erroneous report, you could file a claim in Federal Court against the reporting agency and demand lost wages and other financial damages. An attorney experienced in this area of law can usually practice anywhere in Federal Courts in other states. Did you receive a copy of the report PLUS a written statement of rights from the employer? Did the employer give you at least 5 days to address the report BEFORE it made a final decision not to hire you? Please see this link for more information about your rights. https://www.avvo.com/attorneys/44054-oh-anthony-pecora-558641.html and https://www.facebook.com/ohiobackgroundreportlawyer/?ref=aymt_homepage_panel

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.