Long Beach, CA asked in Child Support for California

Q: My partner , we are not married yet, pays 250. A month to the mother of his child who is 6 yrs old.

His income:1,600 monthly

We have a baby on the way if she took him to court will they order more than 250 or decrease since we have a baby on the way. I dont work yet.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph Torri
Joseph Torri
  • Riverside, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: It’s possible that his child support would decrease once his baby is born. However, he is not making minimum wage by making $1,600. The court can impute minimum wage to him which could potentially increase his child support since his is based off of a lower number. More facts are required to provide a thorough analysis.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.