Diamond Bar, CA asked in Real Estate Law and Landlord - Tenant for California

Q: Serving California 3 Day Notice to Pay or Quit and Notice to Cure or Quit to Tenant.

no question

1 Lawyer Answer
Kristina M. Reed
Kristina M. Reed
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: You should always serve both at the same time; otherwise, you will need to wait until the last notice served expires before starting your UD proceedings (unless you want to forgo a judgment for the amount owed on the last notice served then you can start your UD proceedings immediately after the first notice served expires).

Anyone over the age of 18 can serve the notice. There are 3 ways to serve the notice.

1. Personal service: You have to give the notice to the person you want to evict in person.

2. Substitute service: If the tenant is not at their home or place of work, you can serve the notice by leaving a copy with someone over 18 at either their home or their work. You will also have to mail a copy to their home.


3. Nail and mail service: You can complete these steps: 1) Attach a copy in a place where it can be seen easily; 2) Give a copy to someone over the age of 18 if someone answers the door; and, 3) Send a copy by mail to tenant at the property address.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.