Bronx, NY asked in Family Law and Child Custody for New York

Q: Want to move to Florida. Dad giving me problems. What can I do?

He is very involved in her life. but My home is being sold due to landlords divorce and i have housing and family and job opportunity in Florida.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Andrew S. Tabashneck
Andrew S. Tabashneck
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Williamsville, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: You would need to show the relocation to Florida is in the best interests of the child. In other words, the move would offer financial stability, there would be sufficient social support, perhaps better schooling, or other factors that relate to being in the child's best interest. In this case, the fact that the Dad is very involved in the child's life makes the case for relocation more difficult. Dad, for example, could say that the move would lead to a diminished relationship which is not in the child's best interest. He could also argue the move to a far away state harms the relationship and thereby may deprive the child of an important parental figure. In response, you could also point out that through advancements in technology, the father could still carry on a meaningful relationship through Skype or other online tools.

At the end of the day, however, you may want to consider whether or not you believe the move is in the child's best interest. It would be wise to consider the impact on the child and whether the benefits of moving will outweigh the negative consequences of moving.

As always, I would need more facts to provide legal advice and I encourage you to seek out the advice of an attorney because this is by no means legal advice.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.