Asked in Car Accidents and Insurance Defense for Nevada

Q: Ex-girlfriend got a dui and hit multiple parked cars with my car and under my insurance

She is listed on the policy but not as a driver because she does not have a license, my insurance company is telling me my coverage limit is $10,000 and anything over I personally will be liable for. Is there anyway i can dissolve myself of any responsibility for the accident as a whole and hold her responsible? Or at least hold her liable after my insurance covers the first $10,000?

1 Lawyer Answer
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing
  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Wyomissing, PA

A: You need to talk to a bankrupcty attorney --look for a member of the NACA --go to

Ask your insurance company to divide up the payments and get releases.

Look at your policy. Do you have homeowners? Check and see if that covers any excess liability.

If you get sued you need to name the girlfriend under a "third party claim." That's the only way to hold her responsible.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.