Eugene, OR asked in DUI / DWI for Oregon

Q: Can I purchase and own a firearm while still completing diversion for DUII in Multnomah county OR?

Charged with DUII, reckless driving, and reckless endanger. Allowed to do diversion since it was my first and only DUII. This is in Multnomah County Oregon.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brandon C. Foy
Brandon C. Foy
  • DUI & DWI Lawyer
  • Stanfield, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: Review your court documents carefully and consult with an attorney if you any further questions about your obligations arising out of your case. If you had an attorney to help you enter diversion I would reach out to them first.

That said, DUII Diversion Agreements with Oregon courts typically include no restriction on your ability to use or possess firearms. Rather, they usually require you to do only the following:

a) Pay the required diversion fees and any restitution ordered;

b) Complete an alcohol and drug abuse assessment and any recommended treatment;

c) Attend a victim impact panel as ordered by the court;

d) Not use alcohol or other intoxicants except as expressly allowed in the Explanation of Rights and DUII Diversion Agreement itself;

e) Install and use an approved Ignition Interlock Device (IID) if ordered by the court; and

f) Keep the court advised of my current mailing address.

Best of luck to you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.