Ozark, AL asked in Juvenile Law and Probate for Alabama

Q: I am 18 and I am on probation. Can I move out of my parents without getting in trouble with my probation officer?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jack T. Carney
Jack T. Carney
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Birmingham, AL
  • Licensed in Alabama

A: I am not familiar with juvenile law or probation rules, but I have a couple of thoughts. First, Alabama does not consider someone an adult until age 19 (so you may be limited doing something without parents permission unless you pursue emancipation). Second, you may just want to ask your probation officer. It seems like a reasonable question and I find that most people appreciate upfront honesty about intentions. Even if the officer says no, perhaps he or she could offer alternative solutions to whatever difficulties you are experiencing. Good luck.

This response is general information only. I do not have enough information to provide a specific answer to your situation. Further, this response is not intended to form an attorney client relationship. If you have questions about your legal rights, please consult with an attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.