Tifton, GA asked in Estate Planning and Real Estate Law for Georgia

Q: My Husband of 18 years passed away. In the Will it stated I am to live in our home until my death but in next paragraph

Leaves his daughter my stepdaughter as the executor of the will and power of attorney. He was the only source of our income for the last 18 years. It's sad anytime that the children if needed To sell they can. He was angry with me at the time he wrote it. Do I have Any rights Or can she sell the house out from underneath me. She is already taken stuff out of the house and sold some of our things I just don't want to be out on the street. In the will everything goes to his children but can I fight that or do I have any rights at all please help.

1 Lawyer Answer
John W. Chambers Jr
John W. Chambers Jr
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Atlanta, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: I recommend that you immediately retain the services of a probate attorney to obtain legal advice about this matter. A probate attorney can advise you of your rights after reviewing the pertinent documents and facts related to your particular situation. In Georgia, a surviving spouse may be entitled to have some or all of her spouse's estate set aside as what is referred to as "year's support." This response is not intended to give legal advice, but only general information, and there is no attorney client relationship created by such response.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.