Jersey City, NJ asked in Criminal Law and Domestic Violence for New Jersey

Q: I filed a temporary restraining order against my boyfriend's brother, is it possible for me to get a permanent one?

I am also filing assault charges against him as well. We reside in the same house.

1 Lawyer Answer
Kristofher Beralo
Kristofher Beralo
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Jersey City, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: After you filed the TRO you are given a court date (if the judge granted you the TRO) to proceed with an FRO hearing.

This FRO hearing will determine whether or not a permanent restraining order will be ordered. During this hearing you will have the right to testify, call witness and try and convince the judge that you meet the element of an FRO.

Those (3) elements are: (1) Jurisdiction, i.e., the plaintiff qualifies as a “victim” under the Act (a spouse, former spouse or present or former household member), N.J.S.A. 2C:25-19d; (2) the defendant committed an act of “Domestic Violence”, i.e., a predicate act, such as harassment, terroristic threats, criminal mischief or simple assault, N.J.S.A. 2C:25-19a, Cesare v. Cesare, 154 N.J. 394 (1998); and (3) a need to protect plaintiff against a future act of domestic violence.

Remember, the burden to prove this is preponderance of the evidence, which is a lower burden than beyond a reasonable doubt (criminal cases).

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.