Enterprise, AL asked in Domestic Violence for Alabama

Q: My husband is in jail for domestic violence. Its a felony class 3 i think. I dont want to press charges.

Will the city press charges? If so what am i able to do to not let them send my husband to jail?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

A: Crimes are against the City or state, not against you personally. It is not within your power to tell the city not to prosecute. If you are not the only witness, or if he made statements admitting what he did (which is darn serious to warrant felony domestic violence) he is going to trial on this.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.