Sterling Heights, MI asked in DUI / DWI for Michigan

Q: Someone I know got a DUI in Sarnia, Ontario, CAN but is a US citizen in Michigan. Any law advice for them?

The cop who booked him said if he has no intentions on ever coming back to Canada, he could just not show up to court for his hearing. With Ontario and Michigan having a reciprocity law, would the warrant there show up here? They impounded his car and took his license but was able to have someone else get the car and the secretary of state re-issued a new license to him. Just seeking advice for him so he makes the right decision and it not come back to bite him later on as he knows driving under the influence was a bad decision.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Neil Colman
Neil Colman
  • DUI & DWI Lawyer
  • Clinton Township, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: Have him hire a Canadian attorney right away. Don’t play games, as it can come back to haunt you. Your Michigan license and driving privileges will be affected.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.