Asked in Child Support for Utah

Q: Will I have to continue child support for another year if custodial parent making son take his junior year again?

Custodial parent and son moved from nc to ut. Son was going to graduate in 2018 in nc. Son was taking college courses in high school doing great. Now in Utah he is taking his junior year again because cp doesn't think he's mature enough for college. I will file in January to end child support. Will my request be denied now that he is doing another year of junior high? He went to public school his whole life now is doing his junior year in a expensive Catholic school. Custodial parent has a new job making 10k more a year. Do I try and modify child support or do I go ahead and petition to have child support end?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Paul Waldron
Paul Waldron

A: It depends on the terms set forth in the court orders. If it is originally a North Carolina decree, then North Carolina law as applied to the existing decree will control. In Utah, often the decree will have language that child support continues until the child turns 18 or graduates from high school, or should graduate with his regularly matriculated class, whichever is later, thus meaning your child support would end at the end of this school year.

Also, if jurisdiction for the divorce is still in North Carolina, I would file the petition to modify, etc. in North Carolina. Regardless, I can only recommend that you consult directly with an experienced family law attorney to get specific advice based upon your controlling court orders, including to specifically identify which orders are the controlling court orders.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.