Q: Was found guilty of driving while suspended as a Class A misdemeanor. Law states driving is knowing driving while

Suspended. I had been out of state for a couple of months. The suspension letter was dated 2 says prior to me getting the ticket. The judge informed me that I was correct about the text of the law, however stated that "case law" says driver "knows or should know" their license is suspended, and ruled me guilty. He was nice enough to suspend my jail time and not suspend my license. However the charge is still on my driving record and I am officially now a Criminal. Can I appeal this case? Or expunge my record?

1 Lawyer Answer
Andrew L. Bennett
Andrew L. Bennett
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Valparaiso, IN
  • Licensed in Indiana

A: You should contact a local attorney very soon as appeals are time sensitive on filing a notice of appeal. An expungement of the conviction is possible, but there is also a time frame before you can petition the court. If you miss your deadline then you would be barred from going forward on the appeal so you need to speak with an attorney quickly so your specific facts and circumstances can be discussed before the deadline passes.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.