Asked in International Law and Internet Law for Utah

Q: Good Afternoon How do i can sue a website if they hold my money and they not give it out?

I had a transfer with bitcoin through on a website what was promising to change the bitcoin in to real money,but the website took my money and not transferred for me,when i was contacting witht he customer serviece literally they were saying they wont give it!

Im living in the UK but as i found the website server is in Utah.

1 Lawyer Answer
Richard Sternberg
Richard Sternberg
  • International Law Lawyer
  • Potomac, MD

A: Retain a lawyer in the state and county where the company has its principal place of business, is incorporated, or does business. Choosing which of those is often a complex problem unless you already know where the company’s assets are located. Have that lawyer issue a demand so the defendant knows you are coming after them in a manner that is realistic, and then pay the filing fee and sue. If the amount involved is too small to do this, take a lesson to prevent getting ripped off in the future.

There may well be other, better, cheaper answers, but you asked how to sue.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.