Phenix City, AL asked in Immigration Law for Alabama

Q: An individual in the U.S. on a B visa is seeking adjustment to R. Can she leave for 2 weeks while the I-129 is pending?

A religious organization has asked her to stay for a year, and filed an I-129 petition for adjustment of status to R. She would like to go on a short mission trip for 2 weeks, and may be able to obtain more time on her I-94 on re-entry; but her I-129 has already been filed.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Hector E. Quiroga
Hector E. Quiroga
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Las Vegas, NV

A: That’s risky. Customs officers will question your intent. You would be coming to the US on a tourist visa but the fact that an I-129 has been filed on your behalf suggests a different intent than tourism. You could, therefore, be denied entry.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.