Cullman, AL asked in Domestic Violence for Alabama

Q: My child's father was arrested for dv what happens if i don't show up for court?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

A: First, if he abused you, you are making a big mistake in hinder his prosecution. Second, a case may be made against him if you show up or not depending on statements made by you or him or based on officer observations. There could also be other witnesses to what happened. You need to go get some counseling about this. I suspect that he has told you how sorry he is and how it really is your fault and that you can make all of this go away if you just don't testify. One day, you or some other woman like you, will be killed by an abuser whom you could have gotten away from. Get some counseling. If he contacts you, call the police -- even if he is contacting you through a third party. (like his mamma)

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.