Detroit, MI asked in Family Law, Adoption and Child Custody for Michigan

Q: I take care of a son that is not my biological.He considers me his father. His mother offers no support.What rights do I

I dated a young lady for 7 plus years on and off we have not lived together for the last 2 years but her son still stays with me. She has not lived together for the last 2 years but her son still stays with me.

What rights do I have to get custody of the Son. I have enrolled him at school. I have been the only parent available to pick him up for the last three years. I have provided all the clothes and financial support, food and shelter. I'm listed as father as far as all School documents go. what rights do I have

1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Family Law Lawyer
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: Your rights concerning the child are limited to what the mother willingly allows you to do. At any time, she can call her son home and not let you see him again. Or, the father could come in the picture and start a custody issue, of which you would have no dog in the fight.

There is a legal principal called equitable paternity that might apply to your case if you did wish to exert some legal rights.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.