Nashville, TN asked in Consumer Law, Contracts and Construction Law for Tennessee

Q: I entered into an agreement with a builder. He has stolen 100k+ and mis appropriated funds. How can I prosecute him?

The builder frauded me as well as several other investors, suppliers and subs. It is very obvious now after I have gathered the facts that he did this with clear malicious intent. I discovered he has done this in the past in 1996, 2008, 2014 and now. He filed bankrupsty the two previous times. I do not believe he has that option this time. He wrote bad checks to two suppliers that I know of which should be criminal. The DA says this is a civil matter however I believe they should investigate him under T.C.A. 39-14-105. He has performed work but he knowingly pulled more draws without intent on performing work and did not pay subs or suppliers for previous work done within previous draws. My homes now have liens on them. I am one of many that was taken by him. I don't think I'll get my money back but I can't stand to think about him getting away with this again. Any thoughts?

1 Lawyer Answer
Leonard Robert Grefseng
Leonard Robert Grefseng
  • Columbia, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: In very rare circumstances, there can be a "private prosecutor" - however, this will require the consent of the district attorney's office. You will want to meet with the elected District attorney in your district, not a deputy or assistant district attorney. Try to emphasize the number of people affected by this person's actions. Construction cases are often complicated and the DA are mostly concerned with crimes of violence and drugs. You have to convince them that a large number of VOTERS in your district want this person prosecuted.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.