Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Tennessee Consumer Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Criminal Law and Federal Crimes for Tennessee on
Q: My son is 16 and he is accused of theft under$500 plus this is his first offense, so do we need layers when he go to

court and what kind of sentence we should expect

Cayley Turrin
Cayley Turrin answered on Dec 31, 2019

Yes. Juvenile crime is running rampant and the state is cracking down on juvenile crime.

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents, Consumer Law and Insurance Defense for Tennessee on
Q: Is there a lawyer that will take my case for theft / unauthorized use of a vehicle?

My daughter stole my car when I was out of town she in fact found my spare key and took my car and wrecked it then she left the scene of an accident I am having a hard time with my insurance as I have stated before she did not have permission and in fact stole my car is there anyone that will take... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Nov 14, 2019

It's up to you, but you could contact an attorney and discuss the matter. Keep in mind that any decisions you make out of anger could haunt your daughter for the rest of her life. Good luck

Tim Akpinar

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Collections for Tennessee on
Q: I was served papers by a debt collector to appear in court. Do I need a lawyer and why?

I gave a credit card company the run around when it was time for payments due to the fact that I was currently going from job to job and wasn’t in any position to pay. My account was sold to a debt collector. Now I have papers to appear in court.

Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery answered on Nov 12, 2019

A decent lawyer should examine the Statute of Limitations, any Defenses, Compromises or at least work out a Slow Pay Order. If nothing else he should inform you of Exemptions. Garnishments will follow the Judgment now and in the future.

2 Answers | Asked in Civil Litigation, Consumer Law and Contracts for Tennessee on
Q: Paid off our loan over a month ago. The finance company will not send the title. What can we do?
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery answered on Nov 6, 2019

Not sure what the collateral is. But you may need to hire a competent attorney to file suit. It has to do with the value of the collateral as to whether it is worth the trouble. The Fair Debt Collection Act might give you some relief, as well as a set of TN Consumer Protection Statutes.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law for Tennessee on
Q: how long does a plaintiff have to refile a nonsuit?
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery answered on Nov 5, 2019

Usually anytime up until the rendering of a judgment or a jury verdict, unless there is a pending sanctions motion.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Small Claims for Tennessee on
Q: What can be done to hold Auto Body Shop accountable for damages?

My wife took her car to an auto body shop to fix a paint spot on rear bumper. The car had to be taken back a second time to be fixed properly, but after getting home she found 3 new scratches on front bumper and the interior and exterior was covered in white dust. We don't want to go back to these... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Nov 4, 2019

A Tennessee attorney could answer you best, but your question remains open for four weeks. One of the issues that could materialize if you found yourself in court over this matter is that the judge could ask the shop what their response was. And if they state that they offered to repair the damage,... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law for Tennessee on
Q: Are condo associations required by law to fill out mortgage paperwork that is asking about other owners?

Mortgage company sent information regarding other units in the subdivision. They said it was required by association to fill all the information. It was for a Fannie Mae loan and was needed for the loan to go through. questions like how many rentals, insurance on the homes, how many units closed or... Read more »

Taylor P Waters
Taylor P Waters answered on Oct 30, 2019

None of that information sounds classified or privileged, and it is likely in your condo association by-laws that they may divulge that kind of information to prospective lenders. You'd need to read the by-laws and all amendments, but even then, it's likely permissible without explicit language... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Personal Injury, Car Accidents and Land Use & Zoning for Tennessee on
Q: If a city street has been officially studied & identified as overcrowded for 5+ yrs and city continues to approve

development projects that add even more traffic to the same street without any improvements and traffic accidents increase as a result of overly congested streets, could the city be held liable for injuries and damage to vehicles since they knew the street was over capacity but continued to... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Oct 23, 2019

You raise an interesting point, and in a textbook-type analysis, your argument would be strong. But in reality, this takes everywhere, and most courts would not be likely to consider such arguments. Most courts would limit their analysis to the immediate parties at hand. Good luck

Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Contracts and Business Law for Tennessee on
Q: From an attorney's perspective, how would a company prevent a lawsuit like the one in Pittsley v. Houser from occurring?

Question: Should the Uniform Commercial Code be applied in a case where installation was defective but the goods are not?


1) Pittsley contracted with Hilton Contract Carpet Co. for carpet installation for $4,402; $3,500 for the carpet and $902 for installation.

2)... Read more »

Paul E. Tennison
Paul E. Tennison answered on Sep 30, 2019

This is a very specific, fact intensive question. You should discuss with an experienced business attorney. I recommend you schedule a consultation to discuss this in greater detail.

Notably, your question seems to be one of how an Idaho case applies in Tennessee. That would be unclear...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law for Tennessee on
Q: Are contingency agreements valid without a job estimate?

Signed agreement with roofing company. I had 5 days from insurance approval to explore my options. I told them on day 5 I was not interested. They said since I signed the contingency, I owe them $1000. I was never given a copy of the form, nor informed of that clause. They only stated they got the... Read more »

Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery answered on Sep 25, 2019

Contingency about what? Was there ever an actual contract? You might need to read the contract and then act accordingly. But if you really want your money back, you will have to hire an attorney to sue in Sessions, and it may not be worth it. And you may not be entitled to the money's return,... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law for Tennessee on
Q: Put a $15,000 tentative down payment on a log cabin kit did not get the kit and they won't give us our money back
Bennett James Wills
Bennett James Wills answered on Sep 19, 2019

That could very well be a breach of contract. You should consult with an attorney to review your contract and the circumstances of the transaction. If the seller did not honor the terms of the contract then you may have to file a lawsuit to obtain your money back.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Criminal Law and Traffic Tickets for Tennessee on
Q: I got caught driving on suspended license and no insurance and bumper law what can happen?

I got in speedwell tn state trooper i had sezure about year ago that's why there suspended

Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery answered on Aug 30, 2019

You need to find out from the Department of Safety what you need to reinstate the license. Then spend the money and time to do it fast. Campbell/Claiborne Judges and DA's should give you a continuance if you honestly try to get a TN DL, Insurance and a Bumper. If there was a wreck, then it will... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Consumer Law for Tennessee on
Q: How can you get school traffic not to block your personal driveway?

We live in front of the school entrance by and every year we can not get in or out during the drop off in the morning and pick up in the afternoon school board says it's a city issue and the city says it's a school zone so it's school board problem

Bennett James Wills
Bennett James Wills answered on Aug 28, 2019

Need more facts. But perhaps you could sue to declare the issue a private/public nuisance and seek relief. Best option is to consult with local counsel to determine what, if anything, you can do.

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Consumer Law, Products Liability and Agricultural Law for Tennessee on
Q: I’d really like to know more about The Tennessee Meat and Poultry Inspection Act, mainly out of curiosity.

I was hoping I could get someone to summarize The Tennessee Meat and Poultry Inspection Act

Bennett James Wills
Bennett James Wills answered on Aug 20, 2019

This is a very broad question. The Act is codified at TCA 53-7-201, et seq. Justia has the full text of the statutes on this website.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law for Tennessee on
Q: A security system was installed in my house, the technician signed my name to all the documents.
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Aug 2, 2019

It's possible part of your post was left off; there wasn't a question included here. You could try reposting so that a Tennessee attorney could see your question. As a general note, the homeowner should be given the opportunity to review the terms and sign; at the same time, technicians can... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Real Estate Law and Landlord - Tenant for Tennessee on
Q: Can a landlord utilize the security deposit of a tennant's in payment of utility bills in the state of Tennessee?

Although the lease stipulated that the renter (me) would pay for the electric utilities, at no time during the course of the lease (nor the five or so months following its end when I resided on the premises as a month-to-month (leaseless) tenenat) did the landlord broach the subject of the... Read more »

Bennett James Wills
Bennett James Wills answered on Jul 31, 2019

Review the terms of your lease. That may contain the answer. Security deposits can be used for unpaid utilities subject to compliance with the lease and/or the Landlord Tenant Act.

1 Answer | Asked in Construction Law and Consumer Law for Tennessee on
Q: had siding installed on my house. Is the leftover material mine as i have a use for it.
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Jul 15, 2019

While it's possible to legally analyze this from the standpoint of whether the material was abandoned, what did the contract say about leftover material, etc., it could be more simple and practical to look at it as a matter of common courtesy. Send the contractor an email, and if they reply that... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Collections for Tennessee on
Q: What is the statute of limitations on bank account debt?
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery answered on Jul 10, 2019

Generally it is 6 years from the last payment or the maturity date, whichever is earlier. There are variables, usually contained in the Note itself or a Modification.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law for Tennessee on
Q: Can homeowners request to look at the proxy’s that was filed from new election.

I counted votes with reality company board hired. President now had several proxy’s that looked fishy. They verified their own proxy’s. Our board is a bit shady and now to have the same president and treasurer to stay on board. We have requested financial reports with receipts and have gotten... Read more »

Paul E. Tennison
Paul E. Tennison answered on Jul 2, 2019

You may want to consult with an attorney. HOA cases are not easy to win as a plaintiff. This is because the legal standard that applies usually favors whatever action the HOA takes. There are limits to this deference to the HOA though. Outright fraud may be actionable. The facts here that... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Banking for Tennessee on
Q: So i was told I'd never get a lawyer to take my case.. I have more questions about banking though.. Like why does it say

Im liable for the money unless i truly believed the check was good? And i even offered to pay the bank back in installments if theyd draw up the paperwork, but he said no and now it's gonna be a lot more! Help!

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on May 21, 2019

I believe I already answered this question when originally posted; and since you still do not understand why you are liable for the money that the bank lost on the bad check you deposited allow me to try again to explain.

1. All bank customers who deposit checks that later bounce are...
Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.