Minneapolis, MN asked in Juvenile Law for Minnesota

Q: Police police gave citations to everyone who drank underage. They got my info down but didn’t write my citation.

Will they mail it to me? Or how does it work.. I talked to the cops about it and they just kept saying “the instructions are on the back of the citation” but the thing is, they didn’t give me one, but they got my info down.. and they said if we don’t pay the ticket we’ll get arrested or somthing. Worst case is I don’t want police coming to my house cause I didn’t pay it because I don’t know how to since they didn’t write me a citation. Also my parents don’t know.. so if I do go to court they’ll need to be involved?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Thomas C Gallagher
Thomas C Gallagher
  • Juvenile Law Lawyer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • Licensed in Minnesota

A: If a police officer gives a person a citation, that person should respond as instructed in the citation. If a person does not receive a citation from a police officer, or a citation or court Summons in the mail, there is nothing to respond to. There is no third possibility.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.