West Sacramento, CA asked in Car Accidents and Wrongful Death for North Carolina

Q: daughter died in a car accident 9/16/17 in Rock Hill SC. there is no will. Can I file to be here executor?

my daughter is divorced, and not married anymore. She was killed in Rock Hill SC, but lived in Charlotte NC. I just want to clear everything that pertains to her. her Ex husband has their three Kids which is not an issue, but to handle her affairs I want to know what I need to do to be the executor of her estate. would it be an issue to do this with an ex husband involved? I do know all monies need to go into an account for any creditors after putting in the paper for a month for creditors to claim.. but Im not sure if I need to bring a birth certificate to become her executor of her estate to file this in NC since she was using her married name. I need to know what to do since I will have to go to Charlotte NC to do this. There is a apartment deposit that will be coming back to my daughter that I know has to go into an account to take care of creditors.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing
  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Wyomissing, PA

A: I'm sorry to hear about her loss. If she was not at fault in the wreck there may be a "crashworthiness " case. You should consult a member of the SC Assn for Justice such as Carl Jacobson in Charleston. He givers free consultations. The estate would be in N.C.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.