Passaic, NJ asked in Traffic Tickets for New York

Q: Speeding ticket on an exit ramp

There is about a 1/4 mile exit ramp called the Harlem River Driveway located between the Harlem River Drive and West 155th Street in Upper Manhattan. I was decelerating up the ramp from the 50mph highway when I was pulled over for doing 46 in a 25. The cop’s radar was pointed at me as I passed the 25mph speed limit sign. There was no way to decrease my speed from 50 to 25mph at the point that I was caught on radar. Can I plead NOT GUILTY and use this defense to fight this ticket?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Zev Goldstein
Zev Goldstein
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • New City, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: Yes you can use this as a defense. Just to note: in the 5 boroughs all traffic violations go to trial, and therefore, the only possible outcome is either dismissed or guilty.

We do fight a lot a tickets in those areas, and we are careful to explain to the client the only possible outcomes prior to being hired.


Barry E. Janay
Barry E. Janay pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Livingston, NJ
  • Licensed in New York

A: You can fight this, but it will come down to your testimony vs. the officer's. Once you got to that sign you had to be going 25 mph... Tough case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.