Asked in Divorce for Alaska

Q: How do i file for divorce?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Stefan Otterson
Stefan Otterson pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Anchorage, AK
  • Licensed in Alaska

A: You can either hire an attorney to draw up the paperwork or file it yourself using the resources provided by the court system. To make that decision, go to the court's website:

Note that there is a phone number for the Family Law Self Help Center if you have questions about the mechanics of filing after reading through all the materials.

If all that's too daunting for you, then you should hire an attorney. You can call the Alaska Bar Association and ask for referral to a family law attorney.

Even if you represent yourself, you should talk to an attorney at some point before your final hearing (unless you have complete agreement regarding child custody, and have little or no assets and debts) It's pretty easy to miss or misunderstand something important. If you just need a little help you can ask for referral to an attorney who offers "unbundled" services (meaning they will assist with bits and pieces, rather than taking responsibility for the whole case.)

Ben T. Frey
Ben T. Frey
  • Soldotna, AK
  • Licensed in Alaska

A: A really good site for you to visit as suggested by Mr. Otterson below is to visit the Alaska Family Self-Help law site. Just type in that phrase that I wrote above and enter it into Google. I used it myself when I was a new attorney. Click on the package that represents your situation (i.e. divorce without children, divorce with children). Lets assume it is a simple divorce without children or property as you do not have the representation of an attorney now. You will start it by filling out a complaint (template provided at Alaska self-help), a confidential information form, and a case description form. File these at your local Superior Court along with a $200 check. Serve your husband by a registered Alaska process server. Usually cost $75 or more. Once 20 days have passed, assuming your husband has not answered your divorce file a motion for default judgement (again template provided at Alaska self-help). A default judgment hearing will be scheduled. Just appear at this hearing and tell the judge that you just want a divorce. He will grant it. If all else fails, cough up the money and hire me. I will do it affordably.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.