Eagle River, AK asked in Juvenile Law, Divorce, Family Law and Child Custody for Alaska

Q: My 17 year old is being criminally detained in juvenile detention. In this scenerio have my rights been terminated?

I have sole legal custody & primary physical of all 4 kids with my felon ex in another state getting visitation. My son & ex believe that I have lost custody in this scenerio & that I cant put my son into residential treatment or theraputic foster care (Im not comfortable with him returning home with his risky behaviors & the 3 younger kids in the home). In addition the 17 year old is being told by dad he has a right to choose even though the court has ruled on custody more then once. So I have a teen acting out in an effort to get kicked out so he can live with dad. This has been going on for 3 years- the first dad had supervised parenting, the second he was in prison & the 3rd he is on parole & battling for custody of just the one child. The rest of my kids are doing amazing with me & there is no case or history of neglect, abuse etc. Ideas? Info?

1 Lawyer Answer
Stefan Otterson
Stefan Otterson pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Anchorage, AK
  • Licensed in Alaska

A: Your rights have not been terminated, and your custody order remains in effect. Physical custody may have been temporarily given to the state (though there's a big difference between temporary detention pending trial, and being committed to a facility at the final disposition hearing). The state should be working with the parent who has legal custody. If a public defender has been appointed for your 17 year old, that attorney should be working with you, unless there's a disagreement about placement between you and the 17 year old. In that case (and if you can't afford an attorney) you could ask the court to appoint an attorney to represent you as the parent. When the 17 year old is at the point of being released from state custody, he will need to be returned to the parent who has physical custody under the civil custody order. The delinquency court cannot change the custody arrangement between the two parents.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.