Belmont, CA asked in Child Support for California

Q: My ex partner and I have an informal agreement regarding child support. No court order has been established.

And nothing in writing. I have been paying periodically over the last five years. Can a judgment be placed on me if this is taken to court? Thank you

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Martha Bronson
Martha Bronson
  • Tracy, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Absent a pre-existing court order for support, the court is limited in its jurisdiction to enter an order for support retroactively. Assuming there are no extenuating circumstances, the court is generally limited to going back only so far as the date that you are served with the papers requesting the hearing to determine support. As such, in answer to your question about whether a judgment can be "placed" on you, the answer, generally, is that the court could not enter an order against you for child support retroactive during the past five years. The court can issue an order for child support and make it retroactive to the date you are served with the request, not further back than that.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.