Q: Can you use the same evidence obtained during a civil case in a separate tort commission case?

I'm asking for someone who is in prison. He was attacked by prison guards who used unreasonable force and violated his amendment rights. He gained evidence against them in a civil lawsuit, and they admitted to hurting him. However, now they're doing a tort commission case, and his only evidence came from investigations for the civil lawsuit. Can that same evidence be used in the tort commission case? This is a North Carolina prison case. Please let me know ASAP because the settlement date is on Tues 7th of November.

1 Lawyer Answer
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing

A: Usually if it's admissable in civil court it's admissable in other courts, certainly in administrative proceedings. Presumably he has an attorney and should ask them.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.