Jonesboro, AR asked in Child Support, Domestic Violence and Family Law for Arkansas

Q: If I apply for services to receive child support, will the father be made aware of our home address?

He became abusive and threatened me after I found out I was pregnant. When I left, he told me that he wanted nothing to do with the baby but if I ever filed for child support, he would come after me and take our son. Son is now 3 years old, and I could really use the help as I'm going to college soon, then on to graduate school. Money is already tight. However, I do NOT want him to be able to easily locate us, in case he goes through with his threat. He lives in another state, but I believe that would not stop him from trying to come around if he had an idea of where to find us.

1 Lawyer Answer
James E Hensley Jr
James E Hensley Jr
  • Domestic Violence Lawyer
  • Conway, AR
  • Licensed in Arkansas

A: Call the Office of Child Support Enforcement in the County where you live. Tell them your concerns. They will help you. Realize though that if you start collecting support he is entitled to visit the child. You might cause yourself a lot of trouble. In some states, you can terminate his rights because he has not seen or supported the child in several years. One more concern: he is the father. You had a child with him. By law, he and the child are entitled to have a relationship. If you die, it is possible the child would go straight to him!

Of course violence will never be allowed. You say he was abusive so you might want to just move on. The little bit of support you would get is not worth the trouble it would cause. And it is doubtful he would ever pay it anyway. Sorry, I don't have a perfect answer. You should seriously consider terminating his rights so he can't get the child if something happens to you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.