West Jordan, UT asked in Wrongful Death for Utah

Q: My father was hit and killed on October 30th 2017. I am his next of kin. What can I do

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing

A: Forgive me for being clinical, but you are asking for information, not emotional support. You need to contact a member of the Utah Assn for Justice in the county where it happened. They give free consultations. An "estate" will have to be opened which the lawyer will explain to you.

You should also check to see if your father was a member of any fraternal organizations--sometimes their members are covered by life insurance policies, which though small are something to contribute towards funeral expenses.

If the death involved a car, you want to look for an attorney that has handled "crashworthiness" cases, if your dad was in a car.

If it involved a car, there may be certain death and other beneftis on that policy.

You need to make a list of yoru dad's "estate"--his insurance policies, assets, etc.

All the best.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.