Asked in Immigration Law for Virginia

Q: I would like to bring my fiancé. I am a US citizen. What would be the fastest and cheapest way to do it?

I am divorced. I filed a I-130 for my ex wife and her son about 10 years ago. Would that make me ineligible to file a petition for my future wife? What's faster and cheaper: bring my fiancé or marry her first and file the I-130?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

Elizabeth Nicole Kozycki

  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Atlanta, GA

A: There are two main routes: you can marry her abroad and then petition for her. Or you can bring her to the United States on a Fiancee Visa, get married within 90 days and then apply for an Adjustment of Status. The cheapest of these depends on your circumstances but generally is the first. By getting married abroad, you can skip the fees associated with the fiancee visa (however, this does require you to travel abroad for the wedding).

Hector E. Quiroga

  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Las Vegas, NV

A: You are not precluded from filing another petition for another fiancée or spouse.

If you file a fiancée visa petition, your fiancée will arrive in the US sooner than if you marry her and file the I-130, but the cost is greater.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.