Clayton, NC asked in Business Law, Landlord - Tenant and Real Estate Law for North Carolina

Q: The landlord for my business is refusing to provide me with a signed copy of my lease unless I pay him money. Legal?

We had a signed lease in place with our names listed and requested, at discretion of the ABC commission that our LLC be added to the lease as well. Our landlord drew a handwritten line on the lease as a place for the LLC to sign, no other modifications were made. Now he is refusing to give us a copy back that we can send to the ABC commission unless we pay him $100. Is this legal?

1 Lawyer Answer
Paige Kurtz
Paige Kurtz
  • Raleigh, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: No. The landlord should provide you with a copy of the signed lease. Unless there is some provision in the lease that allows him to charge a fee for modifications to the lease, the fee would not be appropriate. Also, if it is not in the lease, it was not agreed to prior to the modification, so it can't be assessed now.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.