Tampa, FL asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Florida

Q: My girlfriend of 13yrs fled with my son. He's attending the same Florida school. Can I pick him up from school

I recently politely confronted her about drinking. She left and has been silent since. Her father said I'm to have no contact, the Sherriff dept and child services said that's not true. She hasn't returned calls for several weeks. Due to her demeanor, I have restricted calls to the time she picks my son up from school. Child services has been to my home, and found no reason my son shouldn't be here. I don't though, want to stir the fire. I just want to see my son and she has a history of keeping him from me, to keep me "on ice" while she's doing whatever she does when free from the moral constraints of being part of a family.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Shiobhan Olivero
Shiobhan Olivero
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Brandon, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: More information is needed to answer your question fully. You said this was your girlfriend, which leaves me to assume the 2 of you were never married. Therefore, paternity establishment comes into play. Has paternity already been established by a court, or by an administrative proceeding (such as DOR/child support)? If paternity has not been established by some court order, your rights to your child can/may be very limited. If paternity has been established, has there been a timesharing agreement and child support agreement ordered? These also determine the extent of your rights. Sounds like you need to get with an attorney ASAP to discuss your rights and how to proceed accordingly.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.