Broad Brook, CT asked in Estate Planning and Probate for Connecticut

Q: My mother died in June 2017 and my father died yesterday. They have a will and have named myself and my sister as

co-executors, They have about $10000 in the bank, a reverse mortgage (we don't want the house) and an ira worth about $30000 which we are both named as beneficiaries. We both don't want to be executors or do any probate filings or notifying anyone of anything. Are we legally required to?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Nicole M. Camporeale
Nicole M. Camporeale
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Newtown, CT
  • Licensed in Connecticut

A: Yes you are. There will be no way to get those assets (house and bank account) out of their name (besides the IRA) without going through the Probate Court. It is required that you file the proper forms and pay any fees due. If you fraudulently transfer any of these assets (besides the IRA) to yourselves, that could create a legal issue for you. It is NOT advisable.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.