Eagle River, AK asked in Child Custody and Child Support for Alaska

Q: Is there a higher child support calculation if the non-custodial parent moves across country reducing his visitaation?

Not only did he move but he wuit his job taking a lower pay job and cancelled his Christmas visit.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Stefan Otterson
Stefan Otterson pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Anchorage, AK
  • Licensed in Alaska

A: When you say non-custodial, it sounds as if you have primary custody (70% or more custody time). In that case, the other parent's visitation percentage does not change the support calculation (it's the same between 70 and 100% of the time). If the other parent wants the child support amount changed due to a change of jobs, then it's up to him or her to file a request with CSSD or a Motion with the court. You would receive notice of that, and could then file objections. If he/she claims no income, you can ask that a reasonable amount of income be imputed based on the other parent's income potential.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.